Friday, December 5, 2008

Bauxite

Continuing the journey through my past; although I was never linked or associated with this place I felt and feel that I am linked to it in a way that confounds me.
While we were there, many times I would turn down a road, and dad would warn me that maybe a company man would show up and ask us to leave, I would brush it off, saying that if you act like you belong most people will leave you alone.
I know that this is a different attitude than anyone who has ever been in that environment would have, a paradigm shift in human thinking, that the generation or two that went before couldn't percieve of us as having.
Remember that this was a company town, with company money(not US Currency). The company was rule, what they said went, but at the same time I have talked with relatives who say that it was a job that people wanted to have because it was steady and better than other opportunities that were available at that time.










To those, who like me have never seen Aluminum in it's raw form, here it is.
No, this is not a rock with some ore buried in it, this is Bauxite.







This angle allows you to better see the nature of the ore.














Aluminum foil to my generation, usually begins with Reynold's Wrap, but it was originally Alcoa (Aluminum Company of America). My family thought it was crazy that when Alcoa was mentioned to me, I asked "You mean the wheel company?"
Bauxite was vital, as this plaque shows, remember the planes that made victory possible were all skinned with it.








Pete was my Grandfathers (Dave H. Crawford) brother. Pete had no sons and so the Crawford name stopped on this line.

No comments: