Monday, December 8, 2008

Youth Group Formal Dinner

Our Sister Church in Joplin, kindly invited us along to their Youth Formal Dinner. This is the fifth year they've held it and it was really nice. They get a good rate on "The Phelps House" and then folks from church come and do everything. Russ (their head of youth) told me "I don't want you to do anything but come, eat, hangout with the kids, and enjoy yourself". Sign me up, my kind of job description; but I couldn't help myself, while some kids were having pictures taken at the end, I jumped in and helped tear down tables and chairs.












This character is actually the Senior Pastor for Joplin, I asked Jeff if he was considering a career change, and if so he would have to remember to put out a collection hat, or at least his case. Very good music, in the way that I couldn't honestly tell you what he was playing, just what you need for a good night of conversing and eating.














While I was waiting for the dessert to make it to our table, I figured I would get a few impromtu shots. Later, the professional shots will be available.
This table of boys was 3/4 mine and at many times was barely holding onto the concept; they were always on the ragged edge of wanting to go crazy.












Actually, only Johnnie (girl), is one of mine, but I guess I have to claim the one to her right, since I did drive him down with us, although I haven't had the pleasure to have him in youth.












My other girl, Emma, seen here felt as though she was out of her element. She is a rather tall tom-boy, who has great talent on the basketball court, but really didn't want to wear a dress, and when we got there believed that I would allow her to keep her coat on all evening. I believe she came to realize that she looked just fine, but that is one of our goals with this outing, to coach the kids along the path, so they can get along with all occasions.











Very calm waters compared to what dad had us boys doing when I was about 10. Going out to a restaurant for a 5 course meal was a little intimidating, including the fact that not only did I have to dress nice, but was not allowed to ruin it by going outside and play before we left. Not all was a loss however; I passed, maybe not with flying colors, but enough that the experiment was repeated, and a few years later when our grandparents came out to England to visit I was able to instruct "start at the outside and eat your way toward the plate". I was of course trying to help my grandfather who was looking at the abundance of silverware and not sure where to start.
Although I fought it at the time; thanks dad, for equiping me to survive and thrive in almost any environment.

No comments: